Sports Question And Answers Books Syllabus & Topics General Knowledge is the most basic and pretty common part of any competition exam for jobs in Government of India. This section is generally known as General Awareness, as to test and assess the knowledge and attention of a candidate, towards the happenings and events around the globe. As we know the General Awareness section of any exam consists of multiple topics and sub topics. The whole section is dependent on these topics for marks distribution, yet it is unknown that which topic and sub-topic contains the maximum marks out of total in a paper of General Awareness section, this is what makes it desirable to study well.
General Awareness and General Knowledge section in any exam is the scoring section and will lesser study time, you can score well, conditioned that it is not just read but understood and learned well.
The Indian Sports topic is a well known and commonly occurring topic in the General Awareness section and might contain a good amount of questions on Sports and Games topic. It is to assess the knowledge of candidate towards the sports and Indian contribution to sports.
But before that, let’s discuss the types and sub-topics of the Indian Sports and Games section.
Selected Sports GK Questions & Answers
|Sports GK MCQ Quiz 5|
|Sports GK Quiz No. 4|
|Sports GK MCQ Quiz 3|
|Sports GK MCQ Quiz 2|
|Sports GK MCQ Quiz 1|
The sports and games in India and related news and knowledge are the basis of this topic and its questions in the General Awareness paper in the examination. Since all the questions in the General Awareness section paper are Objective or MCQ types, it becomes confusing if not known or studied well on the topic. So in this article you will get a proper idea about the “Indian Sports topic” in the General Awareness section of any examination.
Syllabus & Topics of the Sports Questions & Answers
Syllabus Type:-The syllabus of the Indian Sports section generally contains:
• National and International Sports played in India:
Names of the sports and games played in India, teams and various national tournaments, facts about sports world etc.
• Representation of India in International Sports Tournaments and cups:
Indian teams and representation of India on International sports platform, winners and achievers of India, Rankings, dates and events regarding Indian achievements and loses in International tournaments and cups.
• Football and related tournaments, trophies and cups:
Reputed tournaments and challenge trophies in Sport of Football, nation-wise performances, rankings, teams and leagues, facts about football.
• Hockey world cup:
Hockey world cup and other reputed tournaments, India’s performance and achievements in Hockey, National game of hockey and related facts and data.
• International Cricket and related associations and news:
Questions based on Cricket, Cricket in India and performance of India. National and International cricket tournaments, Teams and representations, Facts related to International cricket, Contribution of India. World Cups and other ICC conducted tournaments etc.
• Olympics Games and related knowledge:
Olympic Games, hosting nations, winners and losers, dates and achievements of various athletes in the Olympics, India’s performance in Olympics till date, past and future Olympic games and related news.
• Commonwealth Games:
Commonwealth games and participating nations, teams, winner and losers, dates and achievements, hosting nations, events and facts.
• Asian Games and South Asian Federation (SAF) games:
It includes types of sports in Asian and SAF games, ranks and sports performance of member nations, achievements and success stories, events and facts data.
• Achievements of Indians in International Sports:
India and its performance in International sports, contribution to various sports, Winners and achievers of India in International sports, facts related to each sport and game.
• Trophies and Cups worldwide and performance of India.
Based on these sub-topics a paper for the Indian and world sports is added in the General Knowledge and awareness section. This section may contain the dates and events in the history of Indian and World sports, Performance of India in various tournaments and cups, Olympic games and related news like hosting nation, winning team, number and names of sports, Asian and South Asian Games, National and International sports teams of India, Questions on lives of the sports persons, Major athletes and sports persons and other distinguished questions are based on these sub-topics of sports world.
Sports MCQ questions & Answers – Examples
So now we will give you a better idea of the question types that can be seen in the Indian and World sports section of the General Awareness section of any examination. Here it is.
1. When was the Commonwealth game started?
2. Who has won Cricket world cup for the maximum number of times?
c. West Indies
d. Sri Lanka
3. Which city has hosted Asian Games in 2006?
c. New Delhi
4. Which term is commonly used in Badminton and Volleyball?
5. If we are using the following words in a game. Which game are we playing?
Break, Cannons, Cue, In off, Jigger, Scratch
6. Who was the winner of Football World Cup in 2010?
7. How many nations participated in 2012 Olympic Games?
8. Who was the first person to win the Grand Slam in tennis?
a) Bill Tilden
b) Don Budge
c) Henry Vines
d) Jack Kramer
9. Which is the oldest football club in India?
a) Mohun Bagan
b) Pailan Arrows
c) Prayag United
d) United Sikkim
10. Which of the following is related to Jallikattu sport played in Tamil Nadu and neighbouring states of India?
a) Bullfight and bullock-cart racing
d) Cricket fight
11. When is national sports day of India celebrated?
a) April 6
b) August 29
c) September 14
d) October 11
12. Who was the oldest male player to win the French Open?
a) Andre Gobert
b) Andre Vacherot
c) Henri Cochet
d) Max Decugis
13. When was International Olympic Committee founded?
14. Who won the inaugural women’s 400 m hurdles event?
a) Hassiba Boulmerka
b) Nawal El Moutawakel
c) Nezha Bidouane
d) P. T. Usha
15. In which event did Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, Lt. Colonel in the Indian Army, win silver medal (shooting) in the 2004 Summer Olympics?
a) 10m Pistol
b) 25m Pistol
c) Double Trap
d) Men’s Skeet
16. In which year were the Asian Games held in Delhi for the first time?
17. 9. Who was the first Indian to reach the semi final in Wimbledon Tennis Championship?
a) Ananth Amritraj
b) Premjit Lall
c) Ramanathan Krishnan
d) Ramesh Krishnan
18. Who among the following is not associated with billiards in India?
a) Ashok Shandilya
b) Manoj Kothari
c) Mihir Sen
d) Subash Agarwal
19. When was the Sports Authority of India formed?
20. Who became the first Indian to win a grand slam title?
a) Leander Peas
b) Mahesh Bhupathi
c) Both (a) and (b)
d) None of the above
21. What is the full form of IAAF?
a) International Amateur Athletics Federation
b) Indian Amateur Athletics Federation
c) Indian Association of Athletics and Field events
d) None of the above
22. The term “Googly” is associated with:
23. Krishna Poonia is associated with ?
24. In 2011 India won the World Cup. Who was adjudicated as the man of the series in the tournament ?
a) Rahul Dravid
b) Zaheer Khan
c) Yuvaraj Singh
d) Sachin Tendulkar
25. Who won The maximum number of Gold medals in Olympics 2008?
26. Which country has won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup for the year 2016?
c) New Zealand
So I think we have provided you a better idea about the questions and topic types that candidates may face in the Indian and World Sports sub-section of the General Awareness section in any Government job related examination.
Recommended Books for the Better Preparation
Candidates are suggested to use the following recommended books for preparation:
- Manorama Year Book 2017 (yearly)
- Patrika Year book 2017 (yearly)
- Pratiyogita Darpan (twice a month).
- General Knowledge by Lucent for General Events in World.
- General Knowledge 2017 by Pearson General.
- Sports Magazines.
These books will help you gaining good knowledge about Sports and games in India as well as recent and previous achievements and performances of India in the International challenge trophies and tournaments of various sports.